Sustainability @ APU
Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU)’s Ultra-Modern University Campus is strategically located in Technology Park Malaysia (TPM), Kuala Lumpur. APU’s Campus blends technology, integration, innovation and creativity under one roof. Technology Park is also representing Malaysia at Dubai Expo 2020 with the theme of “Energising Sustainability”. TPM also conducts Tecoma planting exercise was aimed at encouraging students to appreciate the values of protecting the environment by mitigating the effects of climate change. Tecoma flowering tree, also known as the Malaysian Sakura, is commonly spotted in Malaysia with its burst of pink, purple, or white flowers. When in full bloom twice a year during the hot weather periods, it certainly adds a natural beauty to the surroundings. TPM has more than 200 tecoma trees within its 686 acre campus in Bukit Jalil, Kuala Lumpur.
In support of this belief, the University wishes to play a central role in protecting and enhancing sustainability locally, nationally and internationally, by ensuring that this principle underpins all its operations and activities.
ENVIRONMENT & CLIMATE ACTION POLICY
Sustainable Development – "development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs” (Brundtland Report, 1987). We at APU are committed to sustainable development and operating practices through the responsible management of building design, construction, and renovation, landscape practices, energy use, water and waste management, emissions, transportation, and procurement, within a framework of regulatory compliance and fiscal prudence. Through bold leadership and, in alignment with Government and industry, we will put environmental issues at the forefront of our operations. We recognize the role we can play in driving policy, changing behaviors and providing new ideas and solutions to difficult global problems.
To integrate environmental and carbon action into all University processes and to maximize the influence of the University in reducing its footprint through education research and its operations.
APU has committed to achieving net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. This is not a simple journey but it is necessary and important. Reaching net zero emissions will require collective effort and support from all our staff, students, and external stakeholders. To achieve this, we must ensure that we integrate climate action into all that we do. Please read the commitent HERE.
The Environment and Climate Action Board (attendees from Research, University, Professional Services and Students) is accountable for ensuring the Policy is implemented. Implementation will be embedded in all new decisions/ operations and activities. All employees have a responsibility to ensure that the aims and objectives of the policy are met.
- We will seek to create a culture on campus that supports and encourages staff and students to recognize that we all have an element of personal responsibility for the environment and to act on that.
- We will strive to integrate and balance economic, social, and environmental responsibilities within all its activities. We are committed to operate as a responsible University, addressing the challenges of sustainable development.
- We will continually improve, and to meet environmental legislative and regulatory requirements as they relate to all our activities.
- We will continuously review our performance against the sustainability strategy using a quantitative and qualitative performance measurement approach. A report will be circulated to all APU Board members for review.
The University requires its staff, students, partners and suppliers to:
Comply with all relevant environmental legislation and regulations as well as other requirements to which they subscribe,
- Set, communicate and implement clear objectives and targets to ensure continued improvement in environmental performance,
- Proactively act in ways to support environmental and climate action, raising awareness and recognizing positive action, whether it be teaching, researching or other University related activity,
- Demonstrate commitment to managing, minimizing, and mitigating the impacts from operations, activities, research, and education,
- To co-operate, where possible, with others to develop, utilize and share best practice in terms of environmental performance at a local, regional, and international level,
- Demonstrate commitment to improve continually and monitor environmental performance, report openly and transparently to support greater recognition of the benefits of environmental change and ensure that outcomes do not create a detriment to any group with protected characteristics within our community.
The University will embrace the Environment and Climate Action Agenda both strategically and globally through its development of footprint reduction initiatives, Climate Action plans and staff, student, and community engagement. We will strive to minimize negative impacts and optimize positive opportunities by delivering our Climate action targets and goals through our strategies, recognizing our global and local reach, through the divers operations, partnership and programs.
APU Memberships & Commitments to Environmental, Social and Sovernance (ESG) & Sustainability:
Asia Pacific University (APU) is a member of various networks, organsiations and have commitment and pledges to bring positive actions for the future of our environment, through education and research, as well as facility and resource management in line with sustainability goals.
- Race to Zero for Universities and College
- Malaysia Digital Climate Action Pledge (MDCAP)
- SDG Academy - SDSN Network
- APU is Member of ESG Association of Malaysia
- APU Professor is a UNESCO Chair
- Higher Education Sustainability Initiative (HESI) - United Nations
- The Association of Commonwealth Universities
- APU go Green with Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport Malaysia (CILTM) https://www.thestar.com.my/news/education/2022/06/12/logistics-industry-...
- APU SET TO COLLABORATE WITH MOE TO INTEGRATE UN SDGS INTO THE CURRICULA
- EC-UK Climate Change Task Force
- UN Policy Briefs contributed by APU Staff
- APU Staff & Students publish book on "Sustainable and Innovative Green Public Procurement in Malaysia"
In In addition, APU will endeavor to align with United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
“The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), also known as the Global Goals, were adopted by the United Nations in 2015 as a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure that by 2030 all people enjoy peace and prosperity.
The 17 SDGs are integrated—they recognize that action in one area will affect outcomes in others, and that development must balance social, economic and environmental sustainability.”
See Sustainable Development Goals | United Nations Development Programme (undp.org) for more details.
The Green / Sustainability objectives of APIIT Education Group are based on the foundations of Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Sustainability.
This can be clearly seen through Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU) campus building itself where it was designed based on a concept of sustainable building, with consideration of the following aspects:
- Energy Efficiency
- Water Efficiency
- Indoor Environmental Quality
- Outdoor Environmental Quality
- Environmental Protection
- Transport Management
Campus Design Strategy For Sustainability
The design strategy is based on four main aspects; Energy Efficiency, Water Efficiency, Indoor Environmental Quality and Outdoor Environmental Quality.
TOGETHER Towards Sustainable Communities:
- APU Energy Conservation Program - click HERE
- APU Water Conservation Program - click HERE
- APU Recycling Program - click HERE
- APU Transportation Policy - click HERE
- APU Life on Land Conversation - click HERE
- APU Environment and Climate Change Policy - click HERE
- APU Sustainable Procurement Policy - click HERE
- APU Sustainable Investment Policy - click HERE
- APU Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Policy - click HERE
- Corporate Social Responsibility @ APU - click HERE
- ESG & Sustainability Events – Activities @ APU - click HERE