Please read this Privacy Notice to understand how we process your personal data as a student, staff, company trainee or relevant stakeholder in compliance with the Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (“PDPA”).
For the purposes of this Privacy Notice, APU and APIIT refer to all the entities or companies as follows:
- Asia Pacific University Sdn. Bhd.
- Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU)
- APIIT Sdn. Bhd.
- Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology (APIIT)
- APIIT Corporate Training
- Asia Pacific Language Centre (APLC) Sdn. Bhd.
Personal data is essentially information of you which is collected directly and/or indirectly and which distinguishes or identifies you, whether on its own or in combination with other information. In the course of your interaction with APU, APIIT & APLC, we will inevitably collect and process your personal data, including data which is categorised as ‘sensitive personal data’ under the PDPA. You understand that when you share your personal data with us and signify acceptance of our personal data protection policy and practices, you are providing to us your explicit consent to process all your personal data, including your sensitive personal data.
We value your privacy and the protection of your personal data in compliance with the Personal Data Protection Act 2010, Malaysia.
This Privacy Notice explains:
- What kind of personal data we collect
- How we collect and handle your personal data
- Who we disclose your personal data to
- How we store your personal data
- The choices we offer, including how to access and update your personal data
We may amend this Notice at any time according to legal or statutory requirements. We will notify you of any such amendment via our website or any other means as appropriate.
1. What personal data do we collect?
APU, APIIT & APLC seeks to only collect personal data which are reasonably necessary for our services, related activities and legitimate functions. The personal data which we collect and process of you includes but is not limited to the following information:
- General (Student, Staff, Company trainees): Name, identification information (NRIC/passport), date of birth, gender, nationality, race, immigration/visa information, addresses (street & electronic), telephone numbers, emergency and other contact details;
- Sensitive personal data: physical or mental health, medical conditions, vaccination status & related information, religious beliefs, offences; where required for the processing of the information or where required by law or act.
- Academic: Academic records, examination results, awards & other achievements, misconduct & disciplinary matters;
- Financial: Information on credit cards, bank accounts, tax file, household income and other financial information;
- Images & recordings: Photographs, digital images, video & audio recordings, interviews, security/CCTV recordings;
- Technology: Data from technology platforms, portals, systems, scanners used for the processing of information from our technology platform, systems and/or equipment; and
- Such other information of you which we may collect and process from time to time as required by law and/or provided or authorised by you.
You have the right to decide what information you wish to provide to us. However, we may not be able to consider/process your application, or provide you with our services, or administer your contract/transaction with us if you choose not to supply us with the necessary personal data, or the data supplied to us is insufficient or inaccurate.
In circumstances where you provide us with information pertaining to other persons (e.g. parents, sponsors), you represent and warrant to us that you have obtained their consent to share their information with APU, APIIT & APLC.
2. How do we collect your personal data?
Most of the personal data we collect and process of you have been given to us by you or are obtained through sources authorised by you or through authorised third parties, including:
- Registration and application forms submitted by you – e.g., for enrolment, scholarships/bursaries, camps & field trips, clubs & societies, locker request, library access, internship, graduation, university placements;
- Education fairs, APU, APIIT & APLC website/microsites, roadshows, conferences, seminars, public forums, events, campaigns & other marketing activities, call enquiries, social media platforms, IT or online platforms and systems, other digital media;
- Affiliated institutions, sponsors, authorised third parties, marketing or recruitment agents, business partners;
- Such other sources where you have given your consent for the disclosure of information relating to you (e.g., financial institutions, referees, sponsors);
- Through employment & search agencies, online job portals, referrals
- Where it is otherwise publicly available or lawfully permitted.
3. How do we use your personal data?
We primarily use your personal data to provide our educational and/or other agreed services to you. The following non-exhaustive list outlines some specific purposes and/or circumstances in which your personal data may be used by us:
- To administer your enrolment, process your application for scholarship and/or financial aid, enable the delivery of your academic programme & extra-curricular activities, monitor academic progress & achievements;
- To liaise with programme partners, examination boards and other authorities (local and international) in order to facilitate the programmes and examinations relevant to your enrolment;
- To provide ancillary services such as assistance with residential needs, visa application, information technology related facilities, applications to higher learning institutions, programme-related service learning/attachment/internship or other like activities;
- To communicate with you including on academic/administrative matters, payment invoices, academic results, announcements, upcoming courses or events;
- For marketing-related activities including website & social media postings, print publications, events;
- For HR related activities to communicate to you on personal, medical, emergency or human resource matters.
- For statistical analysis, general records management, safety and security initiatives on campus (physically and online);
- To comply with legal, regulatory and audit obligations or requirements.
4. Sharing your personal data
We do not sell personal data to other parties under any circumstances. Your personal data will only be shared where it is necessary to support our services to you pursuant to your consent, or if we have a legitimate basis or are compelled under law. Such circumstances may include disclosure to the following third parties:
- Relevant or affiliated academic, professional, regulatory or accreditation bodies or institutions (within and outside of Malaysia) according to your programme requirement;
- Parties supporting your studies with financial or other assistance and/or where you have given your consent – e.g., your parents, guardians, scholarship sponsors, industry partner;
- Service providers or other third parties (within and outside Malaysia) which we engage for our services - e.g., conference/camp venue providers, training or event organisers, insurance companies, professional advisers, IT services providers;
- Law enforcement agencies, local authorities, governmental and regulatory bodies, where compelled under statutory or legal instrument – e.g., Ministry of Higher Education, Ministry of Health, Malaysian Immigration Department, Inland Revenue Board, and foreign embassies (where applicable);
- Where we believe on reasonable grounds that disclosure is necessary to prevent or reduce a threat to security or any person.
Where your personal data is shared, we limit it to the extent necessary to fulfil the purposes of such disclosure. Steps are taken to ensure that there is a lawful basis for the disclosure and/or that the third party is correspondingly subjected to personal data protection laws and/or obligations.
5. Safeguarding your personal data
All personal data are kept securely and are accessible only to those who need access for the purpose of carrying out our services or obligations to you. Precautions are also taken to ensure that adequate security measures are in place for any processes or systems we use.
6. Retaining your personal data
We will keep your personal data for as long as it is necessary for the purposes for which they were collected. Your personal data will be deleted according to our retention and disposal policy after a specific period. For legitimate institutional purposes, APU, APIIT & APLC may retain for longer periods certain minimum personal data of you as academic records or as legally required.
7. What are your rights?
You have certain qualified rights in relation to our processing of your personal data under the PDPA. Your rights include the following:-
- Right to withdraw consent: You may by written notice withdraw consent to us to process your personal data at any time. However, please note that withdrawing your consent will mean that we are no longer able to provide our services to you and/or undertake certain transactions for you.
- Right to access your information and/or to make corrections: You are entitled to know what personal data which is being processed of you. At the same time, it is your responsibility to ensure that the data we process of you is correct, accurate and complete. You may request reasonable access to your personal data to correct or amend any inaccurate information which we may hold of you.
- Right to prevent processing: You may request that we temporarily or permanently cease processing activities on your personal data, especially if the processing is likely to cause you unwarranted distress.
- Right to prevent processing for direct marketing: If you do not wish to receive direct marketing content or messages from APU, APIIT & APLC, you may request that we cease processing your personal data for such purposes.
8. Enquiries on Privacy Notice
If you wish to exercise any of your rights in respect of your personal data, or have any queries or concerns, kindly e-mail us at the following email address:
|Student Admin. related:||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Student Services related:||email@example.com|
(for HR/staff related queries)
|Tel : +(603) 89961000 (General line)|
For security purposes, we reserve the right to verify your identity before we act on any request. Please note that the PDPA allows us to levy a fee for a data access request. You also understand that we may have a lawful basis not to accede to your request under certain circumstances.
Updated on 3 August 2022