Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Media and Communication Studies
APU-DMU DUAL DEGREE PROGRAMME
Students who are under Bachelor’s Degree Programme will have the option to opt-in for the APU-DMU Dual Degree Scheme. Under this Scheme, students will receive 2 Degree Certificates & Transcripts upon graduation: 1 from Asia Pacific University (APU), Malaysia and 1 from De Montfort University (DMU), UK.
To know more about APU-DMU Dual Scheme, please click HERE.
This programme is specifically designed to provide students with:
- Knowledgeable with some practical and technical expertise in media and communication discipline in-line with the industry requirement.
- Effective in communication and demonstrate good leadership quality in an organisation.
- Capable to analyse and solve media and communication related issues or problems innovatively, creatively and ethically through sustainable approach.
- Able to demonstrate entrepreneurship skills and recognise the need of lifelong learning for successful career advancement in the area of media and communication.
3 Years (6 Semesters)
RM 25, 400.00
RM 25, 800.00
RM 26, 800.00
RM 28, 600.00
RM 29, 700.00
RM 29, 900.00
Total: Malaysian - RM 78,000 | International - RM 88,200
• 31 May 2021
• 21 Sep 2021
Degree awarded by APU, Malaysia
|DIRECT ENTRY TO LEVEL 1 OF THE DEGREE:|
|STPM||• 2 Passes in STPM with a minimum Grade C (GP 2.0) and a Credit in English at SPM Level or its equivalent.|
|A-LEVEL||• 2 Passes in A-Level in any 2 subjects, and a Credit in English at SPM/O-Level/IGCSE or its equivalent.|
|UEC||• 5 Grade B’s in UEC including English.|
|MATRICULATION/ FOUNDATION||• Passed Foundation programme (minimum CGPA of 2.0) with a Credit in English at SPM/O-Level/IGCSE or equivalent.|
|DIRECT ENTRY TO LEVEL 2 OF THE DEGREE:|
|DIPLOMA||• A Diploma and its equivalent with a minimum CGPA of 2.0 and a Credit in English at SPM/O-Level/IGCSE or its equivalent.
• Diploma in Media & Communication or its equivalent with a minimum CGPA of 2.0.
||• IELTS : 5.0
• TOEFL IBT : 34
• Pearson (PTE) : 36
• MUET : Band 3
Note: The above entry requirements may differ for specific programmes based on the latest programme standards published by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
The qualification and entry requirements for the programmes will be determined based on the "Comparison List of Equivalency of International Qualifications with SPM (O-Levels equivalent) and STPM (A-Levels equivalent)" published by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
DEGREE LEVEL 1
Students will be equipped with theoretical and conceptual framework of media and communication as a discipline. In addition, students will also be exposed to the basic understanding of the context within which media and communication industry operate through modules such as Contemporary Media Studies, Principles of Public Relations, Digital Illustration Techniques and, Marketing Fundamentals, Consumer Behaviour and Creative Practice.
- Intercultural Communication
- Introduction to Graphic Design
- Marketing Fundamentals, Consumer Behaviour and Creative Practice
- Digital Illustration
- Core Concepts in Communication Theories
- Principles of Advertising
- Contemporary Media Studies
- Principles of Public Relations
DEGREE LEVEL 2
A broader range of skills will be learnt, in which students will gain a better understanding of the broad range of mass media tools, and the specialised communication skills to be applied in the media and communication industry. We will further nurture their creativity and innovation as well as independent learning to prepare them for the contemporary media environment.
- Visual Culture
- Managing Creativity and Innovation
- Strategic Event Planning and Management
- Public Relations Strategies and Tactics
- Social Media
- Researching Media and Communication
- Political Communication
- Digital and Experiential Advertising
INTERNSHIP (16 WEEKS)
Students will undertake an Internship / Industrial Training for a minimum period of 16 weeks to prepare them for a smooth transition from the classroom to the working environment.
DEGREE LEVEL 3
Students will make use of their previous studies and industrial experience to extend their familiarity to specialise in a particular media area and to develop superior skills in communication practice and innovative creative outputs. A final year project requires them to take a hands on media and communication project so as to apply all the expertise and skills acquired from both the classroom and internship settings. The successful completion of the final year project is a testament of the student’s ability to combine media knowledge and communication skills, critical thinking and analytical skills to produce a personal achievement portfolio.
- Crisis Communications
- Persuasive Copywriting
- Audiences and Fandom
- Investigations in Media and Communication Studies
- Broadcast Journalism
- Global Advertising Practices
- Media and Communication Project
- Communication Audit and Strategy
- Integrated Marketing Communications Practice
MQA Compulsory Subjects*
- Ethnic Relations (M’sian Students)
- Islamic & Asian Civilisation (M’sian Students)
- Malaysian Studies (Int’l Students)
- Malay Communication Language (Int’l Students)
- Workplace Professional Communication Skills
- Employee & Employment Trends
(*All students are required to successfully complete these modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency)
- Communications Executive
- Brand Manager
- Campaign Development Manager
- Advertising and Promotion Executive
- Media Sales Executive
- Social Media Strategist
- Social Media Manager
- Digital Media Producer
- Brand Communication Specialist
- Content Developer
- Marketing Coordinator
- Digital Content Writer