BA (Hons) in Tourism Management
APU-DMU DUAL DEGREE PROGRAMME
Students who are under Bachelor’s Degree Programme will have the option to opt-in for the APU-DMU Dual Degree Scheme. Under this Scheme, students will receive 2 Degree Certificates & Transcripts upon graduation: 1 from Asia Pacific University (APU), Malaysia and 1 from De Montfort University (DMU), UK.
To know more about APU-DMU Dual Scheme, please click HERE.
This programme is specifically designed to provide students with:
- The knowledge and skills required for you to play a leading role in travel and tourism related service industries.
- A critical awareness of travel and tourism’s roles in business, the environment and sustainability.
- Advanced study of travel and tourism and facilitates progression, both academic and vocational, by means of developing your intellectual capabilities, knowledge, key personal and transferable skills and a capacity for independent and lifelong learning.
- Skills that will enable you to work across diverse sectors of the tourism industry.
- Modules to develop cultural skills, negotiation and communication skills, combined with the ability to develop and market a product; namely tourism.
MORE THAN JUST A TOURISM MANAGEMENT DEGREE
3 Years (6 Semesters)
RM 26, 000.00
RM 27, 500.00
RM 28, 300.00
RM 28, 600.00
RM 29, 700.00
RM 29, 900.00
Total: Malaysian - RM 81,800 | International - RM 88,200
• 31 May 2021
• 21 Sep 2021
Degree awarded by APU, Malaysia
|DIRECT ENTRY TO LEVEL 1 OF THE DEGREE:|
|STPM||• 2 Passes in STPM with a minimum Grade C (GP 2.0).|
|A-LEVEL||• 2 Passes in A-Level.|
|UEC||• 5 Grade B’s in UEC.|
|MATRICULATION/ FOUNDATION||• Passed Foundation programme (minimum CGPA of 2.0).|
|DIRECT ENTRY TO LEVEL 2 OF THE DEGREE:|
|DIPLOMA||• Successful completion of the APU/APIIT Diploma or
• Successful completion of studies in another recognised institute with academic credits equivalent to Level 1 of an Honours Degree (Subject to the approval of the APU/APIIT Academic Board)
Any qualification that APU accepts as equivalent to the above.
||• IELTS : 5.0
• TOEFL IBT : 35-45
• Pearson (PTE) : 36
• MUET : Band 3
Note: The above entry requirements may differ for specific programmes based on the latest programme standards published by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
The qualification and entry requirements for the programmes will be determined based on the "Comparison List of Equivalency of International Qualifications with SPM (O-Levels equivalent) and STPM (A-Levels equivalent)" published by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
DEGREE LEVEL 1
Students will learn fundamental skills required by every tourism management professional, and the basic understanding of the context within which business operate – Management, Law, Accounting, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Marketing, People Management and Accounting, with specific focus on issues involved in managing services. We will also expose them towards business & communication skills, computing & IT skills and quantitative skills, independent learning.
- Accounting Skills
- Business and Communications Skills
- Digital Thinking and Innovation
- Introduction to Management
- People Management
- Quantitative Skills
- Introduction to Travel and Tourism Environment
- Introduction to Services Management
- Legal Aspects in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry
DEGREE LEVEL 2
A broader range of skills will be learnt, in which students will gain better understanding in business management, such as international culture & communications, operations management, employee development etc. In addition, they will explore topics and techniques in various sectoral applications within Tourism Management. We will further nurture their independent learning to prepare them for the workplace and for further researches.
- Creativity and Innovation
- Critical Thinking In Management
- Consumer Behaviour
- Business Research Methods
- Geography of Travel and Tourism
- International Culture and Communication
- Recreational Tourism
- Retail Travel Operations
- Sports Tourism
- Ticketing and Computer Reservation System
- Urban, Rural and Coastal Tourism
INTERNSHIP (16 WEEKS)
Students will undertake an Internship / Industrial Training for a minimum period of 16 weeks to prepare them for a smooth transition from the classroom to the working environment.
DEGREE LEVEL 3
Students will make use of their previous studies and industrial experience to extend their familiarity in tackling more practical and modern issues of tourism management, in the areas of strategic and marketing aspects together with environmental issues, with aims to groom them as a tourism industry leader. A final year project requires them to explore a topic individually – they will demonstrate their academic and practical aspects of their ability in the chosen area of study.
- Crisis Management and Communication
- International Tourism Marketing
- Investigations in Tourism Management
- Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Service Management
- Tourism in Action
- Managing People and Performance
- Tourism Logistics
- Tourism Management Project
- Tourism Policy, Planning and Development
- Tourism Sustainability
MQA Compulsory Subjects*
- Ethnic Relations (M’sian Students)
- Islamic & Asian Civilisation (M’sian Students)
- Malaysian Studies (Int’l Students)
- Malay Communication Language (Int’l Students)
- Workplace Professional Communication Skills
- Employee & Employment Trends
(*All students are required to successfully complete these modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency)
- Tourism Consultant
- Tourism Business Development Manager
- Event Manager
- Tourism Project Coordinator
- Tourism Retail Manager
- Corporate Travel Manager
- Group Sales Manager
- Hotel Manager
- Hospitality Manager
- Resort Manager
- Front-line Customer Services
- Passenger Handling
- MICE Specialist