BSc (Hons) in Software Engineering
APU-DMU Dual Degree Programme
Students who are under Bachelor’s Degree Programme will have the option to opt-in for the APU-DMU Dual Degree Scheme. Under this Scheme, students will receive 2 Degree Certificates & Transcripts upon graduation: 1 from Asia Pacific University (APU), Malaysia and 1 from De Montfort University (DMU), UK.
To know more about APU-DMU Dual Scheme, please click HERE.
This programme is specifically designed to provide students with:
- Familiarity with the tools and rigorous methodologies used to develop mission-critical and safety-critical software systems.
- The ability to critically evaluate design paradigms, languages, algorithms, and techniques used to develop large-scale and complex software systems.
- A deep appreciation of the importance of software architecture, testing, documentation, and maintainability.
3 Years (6 Semesters)
RM 28, 200.00
RM 29, 000.00
RM 29, 800.00
RM 28, 600.00
RM 29, 700.00
RM 29, 900.00
Total: Malaysian - RM 87,000 | International - RM 88,200
• 31 May 2021
• 21 Sep 2021
Degree awarded by APU, Malaysia
|DIRECT ENTRY TO LEVEL 1 OF THE DEGREE:|
|STPM||• 2 Passes in STPM in Science stream with minimum Grade C (GPA 2.0) in Mathematics and one Science or ICT Subject.
• 2 Passes in STPM with minimum Grade C (GP 2.0) in any subject with a credit in Additional Mathematics at SPM.
• 2 Passes in STPM with minimum Grade C (GP 2.0) in any subject with a credit in Mathematics and any one Science or ICT subjects at SPM. Candidates need to do a Pre-Requisite module in Further Mathematics or equivalent in the first semester of Degree Programme.
Overseas qualification that are equivalent to 12th Grade/ A-Level/ HSC are accepted.
|• 2 Passes in A-Level in Science stream with a Pass in Mathematics and one Science or ICT subject.
• 2 Passes in A-Level with a Credit in Additional Mathematics at SPM/IGCSE/O-Level or equivalent.
• 2 Passes in A-Level with a Credit in Mathematics and Science or ICT subjects at SPM/O-Level/IGCSE or equivalent. Candidates need to do a Pre-Requisite module in Further Mathematics or equivalent in the first semester of Degree Programme.
|UEC||• 5 Grade B Passes in UEC in any subject including Mathematics and one Science or ICT subject.
• 5 Grade B Passes in UEC in any subject including Additional Mathematics.
• 5 Grade B Passes in UEC in any subjects with Credit in Mathematics and Science or ICT Subject at SPM or equivalent. Candidates need to do a Pre-Requisite module in Further Mathematics or equivalent in the first semester of Degree Programme.
|• A pass in Matriculation or Foundation studies with minimum CGPA of 2.0 with a Credit in Additional Mathematics at SPM/IGCSE/O-Level or its equivalent.
Note : The requirement for the Additional Mathematics can be exempted if the Matriculation or Foundation offers Mathematics module which is equivalent or higher requirement than the Additional Mathematics at SPM level.
• A pass in Matriculation or Foundation studies with minimum CGPA of 2.0 and a Credit in Mathematics and Science or ICT subject at SPM/IGCSE/O-Level or its equivalent. Candidates need to do a Pre-Requisite module in Further Mathematics or equivalent in the first semester of Degree Programme.
|DIRECT ENTRY TO LEVEL 2 OF THE DEGREE:|
|ICT RELATED DIPLOMAS||
• Diploma with a minimum CGPA of 2.50.
Note: Student with CGPA above 2.0 and below 2.5 may be accepted using rigorous assessment conducted by APU and subject to the approval of the Academic Board.
Note: Students who do not have a Credit in Additional Mathematics in SPM/O-Level/IGCSE but have an acceptable achievement in Mathematics related subjects during the Foundation which may be equivalent to SPM/O-Level/IGCSE Additional Mathematics, can be accepted into Degree Programmes. Students can be given preferential entry for ICT related subject in SPM/O-Level/ IGCSE.
Any qualification that APU accepts as equivalent to the above.
|Bachelor (Hons) Degree Programmes||• IELTS : 5.0
• TOEFL IBT : 35-45
• Pearson (PTE) : 36
• MUET : Band 3
Please note that under Ministry of Higher Education regulations, only students who have achieved the minimum requirement in the English Language proficiency assessment as indicated above will be allowed to continue their studies in the main study programme. Students who do not have the required English Language achievement may apply for a student visa on conditional basis and are allowed to enrol in an English Language Certification programme at APU upon arrival in Malaysia and, subsequently, appear for the IELTS/TOEFL/PTE/MUET assessment.
Students who are unable to obtain the required level of English Competency during the maximum 12 months’ period, will not be allowed to pursue their studies in the main programme and will have to return to their home country.
Students from English speaking countries and those with qualifications taught in English (IGCSE, A-Levels, IB, American High School Diploma etc) are exempted from English requirements. Applications for exemption must be accompanied by supporting documents.
Note: The above entry requirements may differ for specific programmes based on the latest programme standards published by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
The qualification and entry requirements for the programmes will be determined based on the "Comparison List of Equivalency of International Qualifications with SPM (O-Levels equivalent) and STPM (A-Levels equivalent)" published by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
DEGREE LEVEL 1
Students will learn fundamental skills required by every IT professional, and the basic understanding of programming, problem solving skills, algorithmic skills, mathematical techniques and systems analysis and design. Some specialised modules will provide students with basic knowledge of underlying computer systems such as computer architecture, operating systems, networking and databases. The modules will also help them develop personal and organisational skills, as well as nurture creativity and innovation.
- Digital Thinking and Innovation
- Intercultural Awareness and Cultural Diversity
- System Analysis & Design
- Python Programming
- Mathematical Concepts for Computing
- Operating Systems & Computer Architecture
- Introduction to Networking
- Introduction to Databases
- Introduction to Object Oriented Programming
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
- Fundamentals of Web Design & Development
DEGREE LEVEL 2
A broader range of skills will be learnt, in which students will gain a better understanding of design paradigms, languages, and algorithms used for developing large-scale and complex software systems. They will gain solid understanding of software lifecycle, and methodologies for specification, design, development, testing, evaluation, analysis and maintenance of software systems. We will further nurture their creativity and innovation as well as independent learning to prepare them for the workplace.
- Object Oriented Development with Java
- System Development Methods
- Programming for Data Analysis
- Creativity & Innovation
- Research Methods for Computing and Technology
- Computer Theory
- Data Structures
- Design Methods
- Requirements Engineering
- Software Architecture
- Enterprise Systems
- Concurrent Programming
- Further Web Design & Development
- Mobile App Engineering
INTERNSHIP (16 weeks)
Students will undertake an Internship/Industrial Training for a minimum period of 16 weeks to prepare them for a smooth transition from the classroom to the working environment.
DEGREE LEVEL 3
Students will make use of their previous studies and industrial experience to extend their familiarity in the field of software engineering and to refine their personal and professional development. Students will move further into system design methods that help them improve on software design, organisation and maintainability to produce concise and powerful software applications. A final year project requires them to investigate and develop a solution for a real-world problem - they will demonstrate their ability to combine technical knowledge, critical thinking and analytical skills to produce a personal achievement portfolio.
- Innovation Management & New Product Development
- Project Management
- Advanced Programming Language Concepts
- Design Patterns
- Software Quality Engineering
- Designing & Developing Applications on Cloud
- Investigations in Software Engineering
- Software Engineering Project
- Advanced Database Systems
- Distributed Computer Systems
- Blockchain Development
- Enterprise Programming for Distributed Applications
- HCI & Usability
- Optimisation and Deep Learning
MQA Compulsory Subjects*
- Ethnic Relations (M’sian Students)
- Islamic & Asian Civilisation (M’sian Students)
- Malaysian Studies (Int’l Students)
- Malay Communication Language (Int’l Students)
- Workplace Professional Communication Skills
- Employee & Employment Trends
(*All students are required to successfully complete these modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency)
- Software Engineer
- Systems Analyst
- Project Manager
- Software Consultant
- Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
- Application Engineer
- Software Test Engineer
- Software Quality Assurance (QA) Specialist
- R&D Specialist
- Software Architect
- Systems Integration Engineer
- Senior Technical Lead
- Product Manager
- Solutions Architect
- Development Manager
- Senior System Designer